Work in my lab is currently investigating how performance changes in important life domains affect mood, self-esteem, and subjective well-being. Other projects are investigating the effect of narcissism on perceptions of attractiveness and mate preference, and, the effects of skin tone, facial features, and prejudice (implicit and explicit) on racial judgments.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Evolution and Genetics
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Social Behavior Laboratory
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Fucetola, R., Connor, L., & Strube, M. J. (2009). Unraveling nonverbal cognitive performance in acquired aphasia. Aphasiology, 23, 1418-1426.
- Gurari, I., Strube, M. J., & Hetts, J. J. (2009). Death? Be proud! The ironic effects of terror salience on implicit self-esteem. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 39, 494-507.
- Holstad, B., Sonneveldt, V. G., Fears, B. T., Davidson, L. S., Aaron, R. J., Richter, M., Matusofsky, M., Brenner, C. A., Strube, M. J., & Skinner, M. W. (2009). Relation of electrically evoked compound action potential thresholds to behavioral T- and C-levels in children with cochlear implants. Ear and Hearing, 30, 115-127.
- Larsen, R. J., Mercer, K. A., Balota, D. A., & Strube, M. J. (2008). Not all negative words slow down lexical decision and naming speed: Importance of word arousal. Emotion, 8, 445-452.
- Potts, L. G., Skinner, M. W., Litovsky, R. A., Strube, M. J., & Kuk, F. (2009) Recognition and localization of speech by adult cochlear implant recipients wearing a digital hearing aid in the non-implanted ear. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 20, 353-373.
- Racette, S. B., Deusinger, S. S., Strube, M. J., Highstein, G. R., & Deusinger, R. H. (2008). Changes in weight and health behaviors from freshman to senior year of college. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 40, 39-42.
- Rahimi, A. M., & Strube, M. J. (2007). Personal self-esteem, collective self-esteem and self-concept clarity as moderators of the impact of perceived consensus on stereotypes. Social Influence, 2, 55-79.
- Stepanova, E., & Strube, M. J. (2009). Making of a face: Role of facial physiognomy, skin tone and color presentation mode in evaluations of racial typicality. Journal of Social Psychology, 149, 66-81.
- Strube, M. J., Hanson, J. S., & Fargher, K. (1999). Back to basics in the search for the motives of human behavior? Psychological Inquiry, 10, 247-250.
- Strube, M. J., & Rahimi, A. M. (2006). “Everybody knows it’s true”: Social dominance orientation and right wing authoritarianism moderate false consensus for stereotypic beliefs. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 1038-1053.
- Stepanova, E., Strube, M. J., & Hetts, J. J. (in press). They saw a triple Lutz: Bias and its perception in American and Russian mass media coverage of 2002 Olympic figure skating scandal. Journal of Applied Social Psychology.
- Applied Multivariate Statistics
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Social Psychology
- Nontraditional Research Design
- Psychological Perspectives on the Self
- Research Designs and Methods
- Seminar in the Teaching of Psychology
- Theories of Social Psychology: The Self
Department of Psychology
Washington University in St. Louis
One Brookings Drive, Box 1125
St. Louis, Missouri 63130
United States of America
- Phone: (314) 935-6545
- Fax: (314) 935-7588